Mount Gravatt Retirement Community, is a well-maintained village, seeking a reliable, positive and skilled handy person.
This can be a steady Monday to Friday full time position 8am-4pm, or it is possible to offer a part time position for this role if that suits you better.
Reporting to the Village Manager, your role is to support the village, using your skills to complete general handy tasks and in ensuring the highest possible standards of repair, efficiency, presentation and safety to the retirement community residents and assets. You will also take the Captains seat and drive our 21 seat village bus from time to time.
**If you don’t have this licence yet, that’s ok, all we need is a willingness to obtain the MR licence and of course capability.
We are a small village with 140 independent living residents and a small and friendly team. Many of your wonderful team mates have worked with us 10-30 years and we all do our own part to keeping this village great. There are no nursing staff here, we are a team of hands on hospitality staff and we are all prepared to answer the call when our residents require first aid. Residents look at our team as family and we would love to find someone that is looking for a longer term position – rather than an in-between job, please.
The ideal candidate could be anyone who takes pride in their work and are looking for a relaxed lifestyle position where you can truly take ownership and make the village a better place. These roles often suit, semi-Retired ex-Trades, ex-Defence personnel who were on the tools, Ex builder/ Renovators, ex mining village maintenance – looking to leave FIFO Bus or MR Drivers, any of whom also can demonstrate they have handy skills, initiative, can work unsupervised or in a team; and can work to safety standards as directed by the manager. We are a diverse team and female applicants are also encouraged to apply.
The following tasks are carried out:
- Maintenance – Undertake minor remedial maintenance and repairs within residents units and the village. Along with ad-hoc requests EG. Painting, hang TVs, hang pictures, help with flat pack assembly, fix screen door rollers, change screen door locks, blocked toilets and other general tasks.
- Use of all hand power tools – in a variety of applications.
- Oversee contractors – Ensuring Inductions and safe work (including working at heights) at all times.
- Generally Fit – ability to safe lift up to 20kg and willing to access roof cavity to investigate issues.
- MR License – You are the backup driver of our 21 Seat Village Bus while the bus driver is on leave. Driving to the local shops or outings for residents. **Preferred MR licence, but if you don’t have this, willingness to obtain.
- Pool Monitoring – Maintaining water quality, use of correct chemicals and cleanliness and maintenance of pool pumps and filters
- Administration – Basic use of Email, internet, scanning and copying. Assist with audits of the retirement community and provide maintenance issues and action reports.
- Gardens and Grounds Maintenance & Janitorial and Outdoor Cleaning – We have contract Gardeners and you work side by side with our outdoor cleaner/Bus driver. There is minimal requirement to complete gardening tasks, however from time to time you could be asked to assist in an adhoc capacity. Though you will complete a daily morning walk of the village to identify safety hazards and repair or clean up as needed.
To be successful in this role, you will possess:
- A positive attitude and an ability to diagnose and find solutions to maintenance issues reported.
- Not too proud to ask for advice or take direction.
- Great communication and customer service skills.
- A willingness to work by company procedures.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a similar role.
- Sound maintenance handy skills with a broad range of applications & use of hand tools.
- Sound knowledge of Workplace Health and Safety procedures.
- Current First Aid qualifications (i.e. if not, must obtain prior to appointment).
- Driver Licence (Class MR) for relief village bus driver duties (preferred – ie, If not, must be able and willing to obtain).
- Working at Heights and Confined Spaces ticket desirable, (but we are happy to provide training if needed).
If this sounds like just the role you have been looking for, submit your resume and cover letter to us via SEEK, addressed to the Amanda Campbell – Village Manager.
If you have any questions about the role, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org